Sunday, April 18, 2010

Exit Reflective Essay

English, being the universal language, is one of the most important languages one should know. That’s why there are English courses in DLSU aimed to help students to improve their skills. 3 months ago, I first entered my Englcom class with so many expectations to learn about the proper way to read and write. I remember myself wanting to learn how to use the punctuation marks. After writing 6 essays, I was able to gain knowledge of the correct way to use, not only the punctuation marks, but also the right words appropriate for the type of essay I am doing. I also learned about Plagiarism, the correct way to cite sources and to make list of references using the APA format. I also became aware that it is more appropriate to use third person when writing formal essays. Because of the writing process worksheet, I have learned that the essay would be more interesting if there is a target audience and if I know what is my role as a writer. We used to write essays at school but I never really had an idea about how the thesis statement should be like. I never knew that it should inform the reader of what is to be discussed in the essay. Because of the step-by-step guidance of our Englcom professor, I was able to learn these stuff. Before taking up this course, I had this weakness that it takes a lot of time before I am able to compose a meaningful essay. I was able to benefit from the requirement of creating an outline before writing the draft because the ideas I want to include becomes organized. After organizing my thoughts, it became easier for me to write my draft because I already know which ideas comes first. Even though I still had a hard time finishing my essay earlier than the deadline (because I tend to talk too much), I still somehow learned how to maximize the limited time we were given to write the essays.

After the 6 essays I’ve made, I am safe to say that I have learned more about English and the proper way to read and write. I believe that through these knowledge I’ve acquired I would be able to achieve my goals and this would help me in my future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment